Monday, 17 December 2012

Review: Pretty in Black by Rae Rae Hachton

“You Just scared me half to death," I said.

"You should be thrilled you're halfway there.” 

Some Things are Pretty. Some Things are Black. Love is both.

[Ellie Piper]

She wanted to die. He arose from the grave. He was sent to kill her. She was trained to kill those of his kind. But fate had other plans. He searched for 119 years to find her. & There's no way in hell he's letting her go. Dead or Alive. They're fated.

[Marcus Marble]

How far would you go to be with the one you love? Would you die for her? Would you kill for her? What if the only reason you're still alive is because of her? What if the reason you came back from the dead, was to be with her? But what if your job was to kill her, but you fell in love instead? And now you're being hunted by your own kind?

Destroy? Or be Destroyed?
 Where to buy: Pretty in Black by Rae Hachton

My review:

          I finished Pretty in Black a while ago and it was a surprisingly fast reading. I was so into this book that I’ve read it just a couple of hours and I found it unique. Pretty in Black is dark and mostly revolves around death. As a matter of fact the story itself starts with the near death of the main character, Ellie, which tries to commit suicide, but is resurrected by Marcus.
          First the writing style was so different, as the entire book is, but the writing was different and alluring and at times poetic. While reading Pretty in Black I couldn’t help by imagining this dark world, Ellie’s world. I am pretty sure that there were sunny days, but I couldn’t help but to place it in a gothic environment, foggy and dangerous because those were Ellie’s feelings. I would be interested in re-reading the book mostly because some of the descriptions were so realistic, especially Marcus’ place.
          The love story. I don’t want to see this as an instant love thing, because it wasn’t. Marcus knew Ellie before they met and after that there certainly was an evolution in their relationship. I loved how Marcus was devoted and protective, a little bit violent, but I guess that is was in his nature. Oh in case you didn’t realize it by know, Marcus was not human, he was an Evermore, pretty much dead for a while.  
          Ellie, an ex-cheerleader was now the opposite of what she was because of certain events in her life: her sister was dead and she partially blamed herself, her father left home and her mother was not the loving woman she once was while they were living in a trailer park. I pretty much understand where the depression she felt was coming from, therefore she felt more comfortable in dark places like cemeteries then around people. In fact she met Marcus in a cemetery and this is the first story I’ve read in which the main characters start their love story in such an environment.
          Marcus was pretty much of a mystery for me as he was for Ellie. The entire book I needed to know more about his background and THANK YOU, RAE we got it. The last part of the book was entirely of Marcus’ POV and I loved to be in his head and memories. We got to see a little more of his history, a part of his life as a human and I enjoyed the magical world of this book.
          I would love to know more, I still have questions about so many things. I want to know what happened to Ellie after she received her happy ending without Marcus.

No comments:

Post a Comment